Saturday, July 25, 2009

Week 9 #20 YouTube

This task has been amazing to me. I have never adventured out to view video clips like this before. I have seen clips that were sent to me by friends and family through emails, but I never took the time to explore.

I was intrigued by how much is out there in video forms for students to see. Of sourse one needs to explore the videos first for inappropriate content and language. Sometimes we so not always catch the picture or language, but if there is anything in the video the kids will catch it and let us know. I will definitely search for videos that I can use in content areas to introduce or further the studies for enrichment to the lessons. It will take time but is well worth it. Over the last few years we have had access to UnitedStreaming which provides academic concepts, but I think YouTube may be enlightening to our students and provide fresh ideas.

I laughed repeatedly at Introducing the Book and thinking can anyone be that dumb! But then it made me wonder how students feel when they are introduced to various books or skills. I think it would be a wonderful way to introduce reading and the use of books in our everyday life. . I would probably show it using the subtitled version first and let them laugh. Then discuss how they feel when learning something new in school and are not sure what to do- do they just sit there or ask for help. This may help students to understand it is not degrading to not understand something- but to ask for help which so many do not like to do.

Teacher Tube is user friendly and has less clutter than others. The video clips are relatively short and structured to the topic. Once you learn how it is set up, you can definitely find items of interest. The channels tab provides you with basic academic topics and educational levels. This helps to target what level or topic you might be looking for and narrow the search. Saving time searching is a plus for this site. I was even impressed with the student developed projects as well.

As I browsed through more videos, I found this one to be interesting because it effects so much with our daily scheduled routines at school
Flexible schedule video

No comments:

Post a Comment