Thursday, July 30, 2009

Week 9 #23 Copyright

The Youtube video on copyright was great. For Elementary students they could relate to the characters, I am not sure if they would all understand the concepts but it might make them think about it.

The links for the online copyright comic book developed by students would definitely be of interest to students, Creative Commons website, “Wanna Work Together?” video about Creative Commons, and Piracy all provided meaningful information and concepts.

After watching the videos and searching the previous list of sites I searched for other sites especially for children. These are a few that I found....

http://www.ctap4.org/cybersafety/ip.htm This site has a lot to offer educators, parents and kids.

http://www.playitcybersafe.com/ This site is also for educators, parents and kids. what I liked about it was the kids section. It provided games and quizzes pertaining to use of the internet. I think this would be a great tool for the students are school.

Basically, I think children understand some of the guidelines about copyright, but find that their friends copy things with no problem so why can't they do the same. Peer pressure is a very hard thing for many students even when they realize they should not do something.

It is the same when Copyright is brought up in training for teachers, we know the guidelines, yet when we start looking for things such as graphics, music, etc. do we always remind ourselves what is right. Especially when it comes to the percentages of what we can copy for fair usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment