Sunday, June 28, 2009

Week 4- #8 RSS and Newsreader #9 Search tools

I always wondered what the RSS logo meant on various website but never explored it until this training. I was shocked about how much it is used. For a few years I thought it mainly had to do with our gradebooks and district websites. I enjoyed exploring this topic and was overwhelmed by the amount of articles that constantly were appearing on my selected news sites. I was even impressed with the local news which I have a hard time keeping up with in my spare time. Now I can read them and be more selective on what I am looking for in the news.

Search tools are a wonderful set up but some have a lot of busy work on the pages and I have a problem looking for information with a lot of flashing, pop ups, advertisements, etc. on the pages. But I continued to look through the sites. The one I found most frustrating to me was Technorati. I will look over it again and see if I can find usefulness of the site, because I have heard colleagues talk about the site.

One site that shocked me was Topix. I was overwhelmed at the fact is had local news information. I spent quite a bit of time looking through the information and subscribe to a few of them to keep me updated with local information.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya on that. Too much to read and too little time to do it. Must learn to be more selective. Only the best!

    ReplyDelete